The Houthi group in Yemen has acknowledged the killing of six of its field commanders in battles with government forces on a number of fronts of the country, which is in the for-six year war.
This was according to news published by the group’s Saba news agency over the past two days, which included the funeral of Houthi leaders.
According to the agency, the funerals of Colonel Abdul Latif Saleh al-Ghafri, Colonel Moin Abdullah Merhi, Colonel Abdul Badi Abdul-Rabb al-Huthi, Colonel Ali Yahya al-Wajih, Brig. Gen. Yahya Abdul Jabbar Hassan Jahadan and Brigadier General Abdullah Mohammed Hanish were buried on Tuesday.
They had been killed while defending national sovereignty in the face of what they described as “invaders and mercenaries” on several fronts, and the agency did not address the circumstances of the deaths of these leaders or the places where they were killed.
Clashes in Hodeidah
Dozens of al-Houthi militants were killed and wounded thursday in clashes with government forces in the coastal province of Hodeidah in western Yemen.
The joint forces (Giants Brigades, National Resistance and Al-Thamiya) suffered heavy losses in equipment and lives following violent clashes that erupted when militias tried to infiltrate and attack forces positions east of al-Drehimi, south of Hodeidah, the government forces said in a statement.
The statement quoted unnamed military sources as saying that the joint forces responded to the Houthi offensive hard, and the militias killed and wounded dozens, forcing them to retreat.
The joint forces were able to destroy weapons from Houthi militia equipment, including cannon 23, which attempted to attack government forces positions, he said.
On October 23, the UN concluded the deployment of five ceasefire monitoring points between government forces and the Houthis in Hodeidah, as part of efforts to resolve the situation in the province peacefully under the Stockholm agreement.
Meanwhile, the government and the Houthis are frequently accused of violating the West Coast ceasefire agreement overseen by a UN committee set up to coordinate redeployment in Hodeidah under the agreement signed in Stockholm, Sweden, on December 13, 2018.
Yemen has been experiencing a violent war for six years, creating one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises, with 80% of the population in need of humanitarian assistance, and the conflict pushing millions to the brink of famine.