Turkey announced on Wednesday that it had begun legal proceedings against 20 Saudis, including two people close to Saudi Crown Prince Muhammad bin Salman, following the investigation into the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the headquarters of the Saudi embassy in Istanbul in 2018.
The Istanbul Prosecutor’s Office said in a statement that an indictment had been prepared that paved the way for the trial, the date of which had not yet been announced.
Two people close to the Saudi crown prince, former adviser Saud al-Qahtani and former intelligence chief, Major General Ahmed al-Asiri, were named in the indictment as the killers.
The prosecutor‘s office said that the Turkish authorities issued international arrest warrants for the suspects.
Jamal Khashoggi, the assassinated Saudi journalist who worked for the American Washington Post and was among the critics of the Saudi regime after he was close to him. He was assassinated in October 2018 inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, where he went to extract his documents.
According to the investigations launched by Turkey, Jamal Khashoggi suffocated and then his body was cut, as his body was not found.
The murder of Jamal Khashoggi killed Saudi Arabia in one of the worst diplomatic crises on the international level, after accusing fingers were directly at Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. the young prince was tarnished on all TV stations and demonstrations calling for his accountability.
Saudi Arabia denied the murder charges against it and presented several contradictory accounts.
Five Saudis were sentenced to death last year after a highly classified trial in Saudi Arabia. No charges were brought against Al-Qahtani and he was acquitted.