Middle East

US news: Trump rejected King Salman’s proposal to invade Qatar in 2017

The American “Foreign Policy” newspaper said that President Donald Trump “strongly rejected” the proposal of Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz to invade Qatar in 2017.

This came in a newspaper report in which it dealt with the Gulf crisis between Qatar on the one hand, and Saudi Arabia, the Emirates and Bahrain in addition to Egypt, on the other hand.

The newspaper said that “in a phone call on June 6, 2017, between King Salman and President Trump, Trump strongly rejected a Saudi proposal to invade Qatar.”

The newspaper added that, “Immediately after that, the United States asked Kuwait to mediate a solution to the crisis within the borders of the Gulf Cooperation Council countries.”

The Gulf crisis entered its fourth year, on June 5, when the four countries severed their relations with Qatar and imposed “punitive measures” on it for allegedly supporting terrorism, which Doha denies.

Kuwait is making efforts to mediate between the parties to the crisis, but it has not yet been able to achieve a breakthrough to restore the situation to what it was between the six Gulf Cooperation Council countries, namely: Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the Emirates, Kuwait, Bahrain and the Sultanate of Oman.

US news: Trump rejected King Salman's proposal to invade Qatar in 2017

And earlier last month, the US special envoy to Iran, Brian Hook, said that the Gulf crisis that erupted years ago “has prolonged too long.”

Hawk stressed in a press conference in Kuwait, on Monday, that his country “stresses the necessity of unity and interdependence of the Gulf Cooperation Council countries to confront Iranian threats.”

He added, “The Kuwaiti officials who met with them confirmed their commitment to continue mediation efforts to solve the Gulf crisis.”

He continued, “Kuwait has an able team that can be relied upon to work on achieving the Gulf reconciliation, especially that it has taken too long.”

Earlier in the day, Hook met with Kuwaiti Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Al-Sabah and Foreign Minister Sheikh Ahmed Nasser Al-Sabah.

Hook accused Iran of being “the first sponsor of terrorism in the world, and of trying to control Iraq and Lebanon.”

He added that he discussed with Kuwaiti officials “the challenges facing the region and the Iranian threat in the event that the arms embargo against Iran is not extended, which will expire next October after a 13-year term.”

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close